Monday, February 14, 2011

Spent part of the afternoon yesterday trying to learn how to best shoot the beauty dish we recently acquired...it has some unique characteristics which make it rock when doing beauty lighting...

Image by Peta

"The Beauty Dish was developed and intended to be used as a portrait light modifier. It has quickly been recognized within the Makeup industry and adopted as a staple light source. The Beauty Dish has a “sweet spot” and I must admit it is very difficult to learn and master. I have been using a Beauty Dish for over four years now and I am just starting to duplicate the results on a consistent basis."
http://davedavisphotography.com/?p=909


 I'm not sure I was able to determine where that "sweet spot" was yesterday, but so far I can attest to the fact that the light gets better the more you feather it to the side...though many seem to like to shoot it in a "butterfly" or clamshell pattern...




The results were mixed, and a lot more practice is in store before I get comfortable with it but I can already see how this will likely become the modifier of choice in the studio...and maybe outdoors as well...